Pre-existing medical conditions
Lots of people have pre-existing medical conditions which don’t stop them from travelling. We aren’t about to do that either. A simple assessment will confirm your status and if cover can be provided.
Pre-existing conditions we may cover that don’t require additional information and are automatically covered at no extra cost include:
- asthma, provided: you are under 60 years of age and you have no other lung disease
- carpal tunnel syndrome
- cleft palate
- cochlear implant
- coeliac disease
- congenital adrenal hyperplasia
- congenital blindness
- congenital deafness
- dengue fever
- diabetes (type 1 or type 2), or glucose intolerance provided:
- you were first diagnosed over 6 months ago; and
- you had no complications in the last 12 months; and
- you had no kidney, eye or neuropathy complications or cardiovascular disease; and
- you are under 50 years of age;
- dry eye syndrome
- Dupuytren’s contracture
- ear grommets, if no current infection
- gastric reflux (GORD)
- hay fever
- hiatus hernia, if no surgery planned
- hormone replacement therapy
- hypercholesterolemia (high cholesterol), provided no cardiovascular disease and/or no diabetes
- hyperlipidaemia (high blood lipids), provided no cardiovascular disease and/or no diabetes
- hypertension, provided no cardiovascular disease and/or no diabetes
- hypothyroidism, including Hashimoto's disease
- macular degeneration
- Meniere's disease
- single uncomplicated pregnancy, up to and including 23 weeks, not arising from services or treatment associated with an assisted reproduction program including but not limited to, in vitro, fertilisation (IVF).
Note that while pre-existing medical conditions not described above will require assessment, there are a range of pre-existing medical conditions which may not result in any additional premium being charged.
Get a quote
On Step 3 of the quote form, you’ll have the option to complete an online medical assessment for each traveller.
Our Customer service team will help with any questions. Simply call 1800 750 833. You’ll just need to answer a few questions about your condition. Depending on your answers, we'll let you know if we can cover you and if an additional premium applies.
For an up to date list of what's not covered please refer to the Product Disclosure Statement (PDS).